- 2 1/2 pounds escarole or Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage links
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 can (16 or 19 oz.) cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz.) whole tomatoes in juice
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces Asiago or provolone cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup water
1. Combine escarole and water in large Dutch oven; tightly pack leaves into pot and cover. Cook over medium heat until volume is reduced by half. Drain in colander, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid in a cup.
2. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add sausage and cook, turning frequently, 4 minutes or until browned. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in beans and tomatoes with juice, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. Bring to boil. Cook 3 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in escarole with reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid, potatoes and red pepper flakes. Cover and cook 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Stir cheese into Minestra; remove from heat and let stand until cheese is partially melted, about 5 minutes. Ladle into 6 large bowls. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)27,
- sat. fat(g)11,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet