Miso Soup with Crispy Noodles
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups very thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup miso paste*
- 1 ounce package (8 oz.) firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup rice noodles, divided*
1. In a large saucepan, heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Add water, cabbage, vinegar, and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
2. In a cup, mix miso and 1/4 cup hot water. Stir into soup. Add tofu and heat through, about 5 minutes.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan until it registers 375 degree F on a thermometer. Break noodles into 6 portions and carefully drop in oil one batch at a time. Immediately remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Garnish each serving with fried rice noodles. Makes 6 servings.
- Available in most Asian supermarkets.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet