Old-Fashioned Beef Stew
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds lean round steak, trimmed of all fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups finely chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 pound small white onions, peeled
1. Heat oven to 325 degree F. With the flat side of a large knife, crush the garlic with salt to form a paste. Combine the garlic paste with beef, chopped onions, thyme, and pepper in a large, heavy Dutch oven. Cover and roast 1-1/2 hours.
2. Stir in tomato paste, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and small onions. Cover and roast until beef and vegetables are tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours more. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)8,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!