Roasted Corn Chowder with Grilled Shrimp and Cilantro Oil
- 12 jumbo shrimp
- 4 ears of fresh corn, unhusked, silks removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 ounces slab bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium celery rib, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red sweet pepper, diced
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1. With scissors, cut the shrimp shells, following curve of the outer back, moving from the top toward the tail to expose dark vein (leave tails intact).Butterfly shrimp::
2. Rinse shrimp while slipping off the shell and the vein; pat dry. Butterfly shrimp. Place in bowl; refrigerate.
3. Oil and heat grill. Tie the ends of the corn husks with string. Grill corn 15 to 20 minutes . Cool. Remove husks and slice kernels off the cob.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in saucepan. Cook bacon until crisp. With slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
5. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook 5 minutes in drippings. Add red pepper; cook 5 minutes more. Add corn and cook 10 minutes more. Stir in broth; bring to boil. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper and bacon.
6. Meanwhile, boil 1 cup water in saucepan. Add cilantro; cook 10 seconds. Drain leaves in strainer under cold running water; drain again. Gently squeeze out excess water with paper towels; transfer to blender. Add olive oil, and puree. Stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
7. Toss shrimp with remaining vegetable oil. Grill 2 minutes per side, until firm.
8. Divide soup among 4 bowls. Arrange 3 shrimp in center of each and drizzle with cilantro oil. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)29,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!