Roasted Tomato and Eggplant Bisque
Roast the vegetables in this low-calorie side-dish soup for a burst of flavors. Serve it with beef or chicken.
Yield: 10 cups Prep 35 mins Roast 425°F 45 mins Stand 20 mins Start to Finish 1 min to 35 mins
- 3 pounds eggplant, halved lengthwise
- 5 medium tomatoes, halved and cored
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for vegetables
- 1 head garlic, about 1/4 inch cut off top to expose cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 14 ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. In a rimmed baking sheet, liberally brush eggplant and tomatoes with oil; arrange eggplant cut side down and tomatoes cut side up. Brush cut side of garlic head with oil and wrap in foil. Roast vegetables and garlic until vegetables are tender and browning in spots, about 45 minutes. Let stand until eggplant is cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes; peel.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook 2 minutes. Add eggplant and tomatoes. Squeeze roasted garlic from skins into vegetables; stir to combine. Stir in broth, salt and pepper; bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Puree using an immersion blender or a food processor. Makes 10 cups.
- Fat, total(g)3,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet