Split Pea, Ham, and Leek Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound leeks, white and pale-green parts only, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1 1/2 - 2 pound smoked ham hock
- 1 1 pound package dried yellow split peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
1. Heat oil in a 6-quart pot over moderate heat. Add leeks, carrots, and celery, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add 3 quarts water and remaining ingredients; simmer, loosely covered, until split peas are very tender, about 1 hour.
2. Remove and discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Transfer ham hock to a cutting board. Puree soup in small batches in blender until smooth. Transfer to a clean pot. Remove skin and fat from ham hock. Pull meat from bone and shred into bite-size pieces. Add 3/4 of ham to soup and reheat over moderate heat, stirring occasionally; salt and pepper to taste.
3. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with remaining ham. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!