Sweet Potato Soup with Chipotle Cream
Yield: 15 cups Prep 45 mins Start to Finish 1 hr 15 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 14 ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 chipotle chile (from canned chipotle in adobo), seeds removed, finely chopped (1/2 teaspoon), or to taste
- 2 teaspoons adobo sacue (from canned chipotle in adobo), or to taste
- 1/2 cup unsalted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds), toasted
1. In a large pot, heat oil over low heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Increase heat to medium; stir in potato, carrot and tomato paste. Cook until vegetables begin to caramelize, about 4 minutes. Add broth, syrup, juice, salt, cumin, sage, pepper, nutmeg and bay leaf. Cover and cook until vegetables are fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Puree using an immersion blender or in batches using a standing blender.
2. For Chipotle Cream, in a small mixer bowl, beat cream on medium speed to firm peaks. Fold in chile and adobo sauce.
3. Ladle soup into bowls, top each with a dollop of Chipotle Cream and sprinkle with pepitas. Makes 15 cups.
- Fat, total(g)10,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!