Wolf and Levy serve this dish with pinto beans and onions. Another good choice is in a bowl over steamed rice.
Yield: 10 cups Prep 15 mins Cook 4 hrs
- 1/2 cup masa harina*
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 5 pounds lean beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups of the cooked beef
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Combine masa harina and chili powder in a large bowl. Add beef and toss to coat. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1/3 of the beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to another bowl. Repeat process with remaining beef.
2. Add all the beef to Dutch oven and stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until meat is extremely tender, 3 to 4 hours, stirring often. Makes 10 cups.
- A type of cornmeal available in most grocery stores.
- Fat, total(g)23,
- sat. fat(g)7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet