Three-Bean Vegetable Chili
- 1 cup dried cranberry or roman beans, rinsed and picked over, or 1 can (15-1/2 or 19 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dried black beans, rinsed and picked over, or 1 can (15-1/2 or 19 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds acorn squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (4-1/2 cups)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes in juice
- 1 16 - 19 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 1/2ounce can vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chipotle in adobo*
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, for garnish
1. Place beans in 2 separate saucepans. Add water to each to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boil; boil 2 minutes. Cover; let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans separately. Return to pans and cover each with 6 cups water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes until tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook squash, onions, bell peppers and garlic 5 minutes. Stir in cumin, ginger and salt; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, chickpeas and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
3. Drain beans; reserve 2 cups cooking liquid. (If using canned beans, substitute 2 cups water.) Stir beans, chipotle and reserved liquid into Dutch oven. Simmer 10 minutes, until beans are heated through. Garnish with cilantro leaves and cheese, if desired. (Nutrition facts are based on per serving without cheese.)
- *Chipotle in adobo available from Chile Today-Hot Tamale, 800-468-7377.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!