Spritz Cookie Flowers
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Gel paste food coloring
- Homemade or store-bought icing
- White sanding sugar
- Silver dragees
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In the bowl of a mixer cream butter and sugar until light, about 2 min. Mix in the egg yolks, extracts, and salt. Add flour and mix until a soft dough forms.
2. Divide dough in half and tint each half a different color by mixing with food coloring. Fill a cookie press fitted with a floral disk and follow product directions to form flowers on ungreased baking sheets.
3. Bake until edges are firm but not brown, 12 to 14 min. Cool completely.
4. Dilute icing with a little water and brush a thin layer on cookies where you want sugar to stick. Coat with sanding sugar and tap off excess. Use icing to adhere dragees if desired. Make a second batch of dough if you want two additional colors. Store airtight for up to a week. MAKES ABOUT 9 DOZEN COOKIES