Chicken Stew with Pearl Onions and Mushrooms
- 1 bag (10 oz.) pearl onions
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 whole chicken (3-1/2 lbs.), cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mushrooms, quartered
- 1 ounce can (14-1/2 oz.) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
1. Bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Add onions and cook 30 seconds; drain. Rinse onions under cold water. Remove a thin slice from the root end of each and slip off outer skins.
2. Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning, and pepper in a large, resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and shake to coat.
3. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken; reduce heat to medium and cook until chicken is well browned on both sides. Repeat with remaining chicken. Set aside. Add mushrooms to pan and cook 5 minutes, stirring until liquid has evaporated.
4. Add broth, wine, and cream to saucepan with mushrooms (mixture may look curdled). Add onions, chicken, carrot, celery, remaining salt and poultry seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until chicken is tender, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with herbs just before serving. Makes 4 servings.
TipSecond Meal Secret:
- Cut up leftover chicken, removing all bones, and reheat with additional broth to lighten this stew into a soup.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)16,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!