Pork and Butternut Squash Stew
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 14 1/2ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into large dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 pound butternut squash
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
1. Stir together flour, paprika, coriander and salt in a large bowl. Cut pork into 1-inch cubes and toss with flour mixture. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet, Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add pork (reserving any excess flour mixture), reduce heat to medium and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 min. Transfer to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker if using.
2. Add remaining flour mixture to slow cooker or pot along with 1 cup water, tomatoes with juice, broth, onion, bay leaf and vinegar. Cook 6 to 7 hr on low or 3 hr on high for slow cooker or 1 hr 45 min at a simmer on the stove.
3. Peel and cut squash into 1-inch cubes. Adjust heat to high if using low heat on the slow cooker and add squash, lima beans and corn; continue to cook until squash is tender, about 1 hr for slow cooker or 1 hr at a simmer on the stove. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)9,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Monosaturated fat(g)4,
- Polyunsaturated fat(g)1,
- vit. A(IU)56,
- vit. C(mg)21,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)(mg)1,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12)(µg)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!