Stewed Moroccan Chicken
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons tumeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/3 cup currants or raisins
- 1 teaspoon each lemon zest and juice
- 1 cup dry couscous
- Sliced almonds
1. In a 4- to 6-qt slow cooker, Dutch oven or pot, toss chicken with salt. Add onions, garlic, carrots, spices and lentils. Pour in broth and 1 cup water, cover and cook until lentils are just tender, 5 hr on low or 2-1/2 hr on high for slow cooker or 1-1/2 hr at a simmer on the stove.
2. Add tomatoes, cauliflower, currants, lemon zest and juice and cook until cauliflower is tender, 1 hr on high for slow cooker or about 45 min at a simmer on the stove.
3. Prepare couscous according to package directions. Serve stew over couscous sprinkled with almonds. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)3,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Monosaturated fat(g)1,
- Polyunsaturated fat(g)1,
- vit. A(IU)52,
- vit. C(mg)33,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)(mg)1,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12)(µg)0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!