- 1 cup dried great Northern beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 3 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 water
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 14 1/2ounce can whole tomatoes in juice, drained and chopped
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring beans and enough cold water to cover by one inch to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans; return to pot and cover with two inches cold water. Stir in garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Drain beans; remove bay leaf and set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in same pot. Add carrots, onion, celery, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper; cook about 8 minutes, until vegetables soften. Add drained beans, squash, green beans, cabbage, broth, water and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes.
3. Stir in zucchini and cauliflower. Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes, until beans and vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes and cook 10 minutes. Discard Parmesan rind. Transfer 2 cups soup, one cup at a time, to a blender and puree; return to pot.
4. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush bread with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; arrange on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake 15 to 18 minutes, until toasted. Cut each bread slice in half and serve with soup. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)9,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet