Apple Tart with Cheddar Cheese Crust
An apricot glaze is brushed over the apples after baking to add extra sweetness to this dessert.
- 1 1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter, plus additional for pan
- 4 ounces chilled sharp cheddar
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for rolling
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 - 12 tablespoons chilled water
- 2 1/2 pounds assorted apples (rome, Granny Smith, and Gala), peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges, leaving 1 green and 1 red apple unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar, for garnish
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
DirectionsMake pastry dough::
1. Grate butter and cheese in a food processor fitted with large-hole grate disk or through the shredder side of a box grater. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Replace grater disk of food processor with a blade. Add flour, granulated sugar, salt, butter, and cheese to food processor; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 8 tablespoons chilled water, pulsing until mixture just forms a dough, adding additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if dough is too dry (test by pressing some dough between fingertips to see if it holds together). Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead slightly until dough just comes together. Form dough into a flat disk and wrap well in plastic wrap. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight (if chilling overnight, let stand at room temperature 10 minutes before rolling).
2. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Butter sheet pan. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin into a 16-inch round. Brush excess flour from dough and transfer to prepared pan. Chill dough until firm, about 15 minutes.Make filling::
3. Meanwhile, toss apples with juice, cinnamon, granulated sugar, and flour in a large bowl until combined well.
4. Mound apple mixture in center of dough and bring up edges toward center, pleating dough to create a round tart. Brush top of dough with egg and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake tart in middle of oven until apples are tender and crust is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
5. In a small saucepan over moderately low heat, melt apricot preserves with 1 teaspoon water. Strain through a sieve into a bowl (discard solids). Brush apricot glaze over apples.
6. Cut tart into wedges and serve with vanilla ice cream. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)24,
- sat. fat(g)15,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet