Hazelnut and Dried-Cranberry Tart
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut up (no substitutes)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (no substitutes)
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 1/4 cups toasted, chopped hazelnuts
- Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, optional
1. For pastry, beat together egg yolk and milk in a small bowl. Lightly beat egg white until foamy; cover and chill until needed. Set both aside. Pulse together 1-1/3 cups flour, 4 teaspoons sugar and salt in a food processor. Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add yolk mixture and pulse until dough just begins to come together. Shape pastry into a disk. Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 13-inch circle. Fit dough into a 10-1/2-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Trim edge. Freeze 15 minutes. Line pastry with foil; fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake 20 minutes, until set. Remove foil and beans. Bake 15 minutes more, until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack and brush pastry bottom with reserved egg white.
3. Whisk together 3 eggs, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, the vanilla, orange peel, corn syrup, orange juice concentrate, liqueur, melted butter, cranberries, and hazelnuts in a large bowl and pour into crust. Place tart pan on a cookie sheet and bake 45 minutes, until filling is set and golden brown. Cool on wire rack. If desired, cover and store at room temperature up to 24 hours. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired. Makes 10 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 10
- Fat, total(g)28,
- sat. fat(g)12,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!