Turkey-Pine Nut Meatballs with Pasta and Quick Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes in thick puree
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (about 5 halves, not packed in oil)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Olive oil cooking spray, for pan
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat tubular pasta
- Finely grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
1. heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over moderate heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in juice; salt and pepper to taste.Make meatballs::
2. While sauce is cooking, preheat oven to 450 degree F and arrange rack in center. Lightly coat a large nonstick baking pan with cooking spray.
3. Combine ground turkey, parsley, onion, currants, pine nuts, egg white, and ground allspice in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Using palms of hands, roll turkey mixture into 30 (1-14-inch) balls, about 1 tablespoon each. Arrange on prepared pan, placing 1 inch apart.
4. Bake, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil; add salt. Add pasta; cook until al dente, about 7 minutes; drain well.
6. Place sauce in a large serving bowl; top with pasta and meatballs. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)11,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!