Artichoke Pizza with Multicolored Pepper Salad
- 2 tablespoons warm water (105 degree F to 115 degree F)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (1/2 package) active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon cold water
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 plum tomatoes, very thinly sliced
- 1 eggplant (1/2 lb.), cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 ounce can (13-3/4 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed, and quartered
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Multicolored Pepper Salad (see recipe below)
1. Stir the warm water and honey in a glass measuring cup until blended. Sprinkle top of mixture with yeast and let stand until yeast is bubbly, 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, pulse together flour and salt in a food processor to combine. Add the cold water and olive oil to the yeast mixture. With motor running, pour yeast mixture through the feed tube and process 30 seconds or until mixture forms a ball. Transfer dough to a greased bowl, turning to grease entire ball. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. Heat oven to 425 degree F. Grease a 14-inch pizza pan or large cookie sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll dough into a circle about 14 inches round. Place on prepared pan and set aside.
4. Lay tomato slices on several layers of paper towels. Place several sheets of paper towels over tomatoes and press gently to remove as much of their liquid as possible. Repeat with more paper towels and set aside.
5. Lightly sprinkle eggplant slices on all sides with salt; transfer eggplant slices to a colander and let stand in sink for 10 minutes. Gently squeeze out as much moisture as you can. Rinse and squeeze again. Pat dry with paper towels. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Working in batches, arrange eggplant slices in skillet and lightly sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook until golden, about 5 minutes, turning halfway through. Drain on paper towels and repeat with remaining eggplant. Set aside.
6. Add remaining olive oil and onions to skillet and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add artichokes, 1/8 teaspoon more salt and pepper, and cook 1 minute more.
7. To assemble pizza, arrange half of the tomato slices all around the pizza. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Place eggplant slices in a spiral over tomatoes. Arrange remaining tomato slices decoratively around rim of pizza (leaving about 1/2 inch of crust). Top with artichoke mixture, then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)19,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced (1-1/4 cups)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced (1-1/4 cups)
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced (1-1/4 cups)
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 small head (about 8 oz.) Boston lettuce, shredded (about 6 cups)
1. Meanwhile, make the salad. Combine red wine vinegar; orange juice; minced shallots; garlic, pressed; and Dijon mustard in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil until mixture is thickened. Stir in salt and freshly ground pepper. Add red, yellow and orange bell peppers, and canned chick peas, tossing to coat. Arrange small head Boston lettuce, shredded in a serving bowl and top with pepper-chick pea mixture. Makes 8 servings.
- Use mini-cookie cutters to cut cucumber slices into fun shapes like stars and hearts, or make the peppers into the shapes of animals. Add orange sections for a yummy, healthy touch.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!