Bacon and Smashed Carrot Potatoes
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for boiling potatoes
- 3/4 cup whole milk, heated, plus more as needed
- 4 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 pound carrots
- 6 slices bacon
1. Peel carrots and cut into 1-inch pieces. Steam until just tender; drain and set aside. Cook bacon until just crisp; drain on paper towels (reserve fat), crumble and set aside.
2. Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water by 2 inches and bring to a boil; add salt. Simmer until fork-tender but not falling apart, about 30 minutes; drain.
3. Transfer potatoes to a large mixer bowl and, using whisk attachment, beat on medium speed until finely crumbled. Add milk, butter and 2 teaspoons salt; beat until just smooth, adding more milk as needed for a light, creamy texture.
4. Add carrots and bacon; beat until carrots are slightly mashed. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)9,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!