Blue Mashed Potatoes
Yield: 5 cups Prep 15 mins Cook 20 mins
- 2 1/2 pounds blue or red-skinned potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Bring potatoes, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and enough cold water to cover by 2 inches to boil in large saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer 18 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender.
2. Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; cook until shallots are lightly golden and softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. Drain potatoes. Return to saucepan and cook 2 minutes over low heat to dry. Coarsely mash potatoes with potato masher or large wooden spoon. Stir in shallot mixture, milk, sour cream, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, mashing until well combined and heated through. Cut up remaining 1 tablespoon butter and swirl into potatoes. Transfer to serving bowl. Makes 5 cups (5 servings).
- Servings Per Recipe 5
- Fat, total(g)18,
- sat. fat(g)11,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!