Corn Bread Stuffing
Kitchen cue: Bake Corn Bread Stuffing in lower third of oven while pork is resting and vegetables are reheating.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup ruby port
- 1 cup quartered, pitted dried prunes
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus additional for pan
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup chicken both
DirectionsMake corn bread::
1. Preheat oven to 425 degree F and butter an 8x8-inch glass baking dish.
2. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Beat together eggs, buttermilk, and butter in a medium bowl. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Pour batter into prepared dish, smoothing top.
3. Bake corn bread in middle of oven until golden and a tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool corn bread in dish on a rack. Invert corn bread onto a cutting board and halve bread horizontally. Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes.Make stuffing::
4. Simmer port with 1/4 cup water, prunes, and apricots, covered, in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally until fruit softens and liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Let mixture, cool, uncovered.
5. Melt butter in a large skillet over moderately high heat until melted. Cook celery, onion, and herbs, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl and let cool. Add dried fruit mixture and corn bread cubes and toss, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, until just combined.
6. Reserve 3 cups of stuffing to fill cavity of crown roast. Transfer remaining stuffing to a buttered shallow 2-1/2-quart ceramic baking dish. Drizzle stuffing in dish with broth.
7. While crown roast is resting, bake stuffing in dish, uncovered, in lower third of oven at 400 degree F until top is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)12,
- sat. fat(g)7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet