Eggplant-Roasted Pepper Rolls on White Bean Ragout
- Olive oil cooking spray, for baking sheet
- 1 1 3/4pound eggplant, trimmed and cut lengthwise into twelve 1/4-inch-thick slices (discard ends)
- 2 1/2 12 ounce jars roasted red bell peppers, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 24 whole fresh basil leaves plus 3 tablespoons chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 15 1/2ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat broiler and arrange rack about 5 inches from heat. Lightly coat a large nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Arrange 6 eggplant slices, in a single layer, on prepared sheet; season with salt and pepper. Broil, turning once, until tender, about 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining 6 slices.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degree F and arrange rack in center. When cool enough to handle, place roasted peppers over eggplant slices (covering completely). Sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon Parmigiano-Reggiano and top with 2 whole basil leaves. Starting from short side, roll up eggplant, enclosing filling, and arrange, seam side down, on same baking sheet. Roast until filling is hot, about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat. Add tomatoes, rosemary, and garlic. Cook, stirring just until tomatoes begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add beans and continue to cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in juice and chopped basil; salt and pepper to taste, for ragout.
5. Arrange eggplant rolls over ragout in a shallow serving dish. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)4,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!