Yield: 2 dozen crisps Start to Finish 45 mins
- 4 5 medium Asian eggplants
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Greek olives
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1. Trim ends from eggplants and cut lengthwise into 24 1/4-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant in single layer and cook until tender and golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining olive oil and eggplant.
2. Blend goat cheese and olives in small bowl. Place 1 heaping teaspoon in center of each eggplant strip. Wrap eggplant around cheese to enclose it completely.
3. Heat 3 inches vegetable oil in a heavy, deep saucepan over medium-high heat until it registers 375 degrees F on a frying thermometer.
4. Meanwhile, place flour in shallow bowl, egg in another shallow bowl, and bread crumbs in a third. Dip each eggplant package in flour, shaking off excess, then in egg and bread crumbs.
5. Fry eggplant packages a few at a time, turning, until golden on all sides, about 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot. Makes 2 dozen crisps.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare and fry eggplant crisps. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Reheat on cookie sheet in 375 degrees F oven 10 minutes.
- Fat, total(g)10,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet