Green Beans with Almond Pesto
Kitchen cue: Green beans for these Green Beans with Almond Pesto can be cooked 1 day ahead. After boiling, plunge into a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking, drain and pat dry, and keep chilled in resealable plastic bags. Bring to room temperature before reheating in microwave for about 30 seconds.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup whole almonds with skin, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated fresh lemon zest plus additional zest for garnish
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 pounds haricots verts or thin green beans, trimmed
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and toast almonds, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer nut mixture to a bowl and immediately stir in zest and garlic. Let mixture cool. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Cook beans in a 6-quart pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain beans well in a colander and transfer to a serving dish. Season beans with salt and pepper and serve topped with some of almond pesto. Garnish with lemon zest. Serve additional pesto on the side. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)16,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet