Harvest Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 cup quinoa*
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 medium sweet onion, such as Spanish, Vidalia or Walla Walla, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 large zucchini (8 oz.), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large yellow, red or orange sweet peppers
- Tossed green salad, (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Rinse quinoa in a fine strainer thoroughly under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels.
2. Microwave broth in a 1-quart glass measure on 100 percent power (High) 3 minutes.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in quinoa and curry; cook 1 minute. Slowly add hot broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed (mixture will be moist).
4. Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and zucchini and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Gently stir zucchini mixture, chickpeas, salt and black pepper into quinoa until just combined.
5. Cut 1 inch off top of each sweet pepper; reserve tops. Remove ribs inside peppers with a small knife. Lightly brush outside of peppers with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Divide and spoon filling into peppers; replace tops.
6. Arrange peppers upright in a 9-inch square baking dish. Add enough water to the baking dish to come 1/2 inch up the sides (about 2-1/2 cups). Bake peppers until very tender, 60 to 65 minutes. Let peppers stand in pan 10 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon to 4 serving plates. Serve with tossed green salad, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
- Quinoa is available in the grains/rice section of the supermarket.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)11,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!