Red Wine-Glazed Pearl Onions
As the herb and wine sauce simmers with the little onions, it forms a rich glaze to make a side dish that's great for holiday meals.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1 pound bags frozen white pearl onions, thawed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 thyme sprigs, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 bag of onions, the bay leaf and 1 thyme sprig. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to turn deep golden brown in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onions and thyme sprig. Return first batch to skillet.
2. In a small bowl, stir together vinegar, wine, sugar and salt. Add to onions and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is the consistency of a syrup and onions are glazed, 20 to 25 minutes. Discard bay leaf and stir in pepper. Garnish with thyme.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet