Roasted Vegetable Terrine
Yield: 16 slices Prep 45 mins Roast 1 hr 40 mins Chill 12 hrs
- 4 red bell peppers, halved, cored and seeded
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium zucchini (1-1/2 lbs.), cut lengthwise in 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 large eggplants (2-3/4 lbs.), peeled and cut lengthwise in 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 6 ounce log goat cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Toast slices
- Fresh basil sprigs, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Place red bell peppers cut sides down on foil and roast 30 minutes or until skins begin to bubble. Fold foil around peppers. When cool, remove skin.
2. Meanwhile, place oil in cup and brush each of 2 cookie sheets with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Arrange zucchini on top; sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Roast on cookie sheets 35 to 40 minutes or until tender.
3. Brush eggplant with remaining oil; sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Roast on cookie sheets 35 to 40 minutes or until tender.
4. Combine goat cheese, chopped basil, the parsley and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in bowl. Place between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and, using a rolling pin, roll to an 8x8-inch square. Refrigerate.
5. Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with enough plastic wrap to fold over the top. Arrange 3 or 4 eggplant slices across the pan to line bottom, leaving the ends of pan uncovered. Crease ends of eggplant so slices extend up sides of pan. Layer with half the bell pepper and 4 or 5 zucchini slices. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap from cheese mixture; cut cheese mixture in half. Lay half of cheese mixture flat in terrine; peel off remaining plastic from cheese. Place 4 or 5 zucchini slices on cheese. Repeat process with 3 or 4 eggplant slices, remaining bell pepper, 4 or 5 zucchini slices and remaining cheese. Top with remaining zucchini and then remaining eggplant. Fold plastic over terrine to cover. Place another 9x5-inch loaf pan on top and weight with two 16-ounce cans. Refrigerate overnight.
6. Uncover terrine. Invert loaf pan onto cutting board and unmold; peel off remaining plastic. Cut terrine into 1/2-inch-thick slices with serrated or electric knife. Serve with toast and garnish with basil sprigs, if desired. Makes 16 slices.
- Fat, total(g)8,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet