Roasted Veggie Hand Pies
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for cookie sheets
- 1/2 pound eggplant, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 assorted bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound broccoli tops cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 3/4 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated part-skim or smoked mozzarella
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Flour, for dough
- 4 13.8ounce packages pizza dough, thawed if frozen
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F and arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; lightly oil 4 large cookie sheets.
2. Divide vegetables, mushrooms, and tomatoes between 2 large baking sheets. drizzle oil over top, season with salt and pepper and gently toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer, arranging tomatoes cut side up.
3. Roast, stirring occasionally and switching pans halfway through, until golden brown and softened, about 30 minutes. Transfer pans to racks to cool. Coarsely chop tomato and transfer to a bowl along with mushrooms and vegetables. Stir in mozzarella and parsley; salt and pepper to taste.
4. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out 1 piece of dough on a lightly floured surface into a 15-by-13-1/2-inch rectangle, then cut out four 6-inch rounds. Transfer to 1 prepared cookie sheet and chill until firm, about 15 minutes.
5. Divide and mound filling (1/3 cup per pie) in center of each dough round. Brush top half edge of each round with egg. Fold side nearest to you up and over filling to join opposite side, forming a half moon, pressing together edges to seal. Brush tops with egg. Chill 15 minutes.
6. Repeat with remaining 3 pieces of dough, egg, and filling to make a total of 16 pies.
7. Bake until golden brown and filling is heated through, about 15 minutes. Transfer pies to rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.To freeze::
8. Once cooled, tightly wrap each pie in aluminum foil and freeze up to 1 week. Unwrap and reheat in a 375 degree F oven until hot, about 15 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!