Savory Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/4 pound pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup very hot milk
1. Bring potatoes and enough water to cover to a boil in a stockpot; cook 15 minutes, until tender.
2. Cook pancetta in skillet until crisp; transfer with slotted spoon to paper towel. Add oil and shallots; cook 2 minutes. Add crumbs; cook until golden. Stir in parsley and pancetta.
3. Drain potatoes and return to pot. Mash with butter and salt. Beat in hot milk with a wooden spoon. Transfer to serving bowl and top with crumb mixture. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)27,
- sat. fat(g)12,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet