Stir-Fried Tofu with Bok Choy, Shiitake Mushrooms and Snow Peas
Kitchen Cue: Tofu, or bean curd, is a wonderful food that absorbs other flavors such as the teriyaki sauce used in this recipe for Stir-Fried Tofu with Bok Choy, Shiitake Mushrooms and Snow Peas.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps quartered
- 1/2 pound baby bok choy, trimmed, leaves separated and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick pieces
- 1/3 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 14 ounce package firm tofu, patted dry and cut crosswise into eight 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons purchased sweet teriyaki marinade or sauce
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add mushrooms and saute, stirring, until golden brown, about 6 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add 1/2 tablespoon oil, the bok choy, snow peas, and garlic to skillet; saute until crisp tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
2. Pat tofu slices dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in skillet. Add tofu and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon teriyaki and cook tofu, gently stirring, 30 seconds. Transfer tofu with sauce to a plate. Return vegetables to skillet, add remaining 2 tablespoons teriyaki and cook, stirring 1 minute. Serve hot, alternately stacking tofu with vegetable mixture. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)11,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet