The Ultimate Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup coarsely shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
2. Lightly crush garlic with side of knife. Heat cream, milk, garlic, salt and pepper in small saucepan over medium-high heat, until small bubbles appear around edge of pan; remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Discard garlic.
3. Meanwhile, pat potato slices with paper towels. Arrange half the potatoes in overlapping slices along the bottom of prepared dish. Pour half the cream mixture over the potatoes, then sprinkle with half the cheeses. Repeat with remaining potatoes, cream mixture and cheeses. Bake 60 to 70 minutes, until top is a deep brown and potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife. Makes 6 servings.
- Because potatoes can darken once sliced, prepare this dish right before you plan to bake it. Parboiling or letting the sliced potatoes stand in cold water before baking will reduce their starch content and make the dish runny.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)24,
- sat. fat(g)15,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet