Whipped Potatoes and Parsnips with Horseradish-Scallion Puree
- 8 scallions, dark-green part only, chopped, plus additional snipped for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons purchased horseradish sauce
- 3 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, halved if small, quartered if large
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Place scallion, oil, and horseradish sauce in a blender. Puree until smooth and transfer to a bowl; salt to taste. Set aside.
2. Place potatoes and parsnips in a 4-quart pot, cover with cold water by 2 inches and bring to a boil over moderately high heat; add salt. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid and drain in a colander. Return vegetables to pot; add milk, butter, and 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Mash with a handheld potato masher until smooth, adding enough of remaining 1/4 cup cooking liquid to reach desired consistency. Fold in scallion puree; salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with snipped scallion, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)8,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!