Yield: 2 loaves, twenty-four 1/2-inch slices each Prep 40 mins Rise 1 hr 30 mins Bake 375°F 25 mins
- 3 1/4ounce packages active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (105 degree F to 115 degree F)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 - 6 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sesame or poppy seeds
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Combine yeast with warm water and sugar in bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Combine 4 cups of the flour and salt in large mixer bowl. With mixer at low speed, stir in yeast mixture, then 2 whole eggs, and shortening. Mix until blended, 1 minute. On floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, 8 minutes, using remaining 2 cups flour as needed. Place in greased bowl, turning dough to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, 1 hour.
2. Heat oven to 375 degree F. Sprinkle cookie sheet with cornmeal. Punch dough down and knead briefly on lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each into 12-inch-long rope. Place 3 ropes side by side on cookie sheet and braid together; tuck ends under. Repeat, braiding remaining three ropes. Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water in cup; brush over tops of loaves. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
3. Bake loaves 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack. Makes 2 loaves, twenty-four 1/2-inch slices each.
- Fat, total(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!