Power Puffs: Ice Cream Profiteroles
We used vanilla ice cream instead of the classic pastry-cream filling. Feel free to experiment with other flavors.
Work: 15 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
Vanilla ice cream
Chocolate Fudge Sauce (recipe on next page)
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
2. In a small saucepan over high heat bring 1/2 cup water, butter, sugar, and salt to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and stir in flour with a wooden spoon. Continue to stir until mixture pulls away from sides of pan, about 30 seconds. Let cool 2 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, stirring after each, until batter comes together.
4. Drop slightly rounded teaspoonfuls of batter 1 inch apart on baking sheets. Smooth pointy tops with a wet finger.
5. Bake 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes more. Let cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
6. Cut off tops and fill with ice cream. Put four or five pastries in each bowl and drizzle with warm chocolate sauce. Makes about 50.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!