Cheese-and-Mushroom Brunch Eggs
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shredded process Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or milk*
- Nonstick spray coating
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 12 beaten eggs
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
1. For sauce, in a medium saucepan melt the 2 tablespoons margarine or butter. Stir in flour. Cook for 1 minute. Add the 1 cup milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheeses. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheeses melt. Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons wine or milk. Set aside.
2. For eggs, spray an unheated large skillet with nonstick coating. Preheat skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and green onions to the hot skillet; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Transfer vegetables to a small bowl; set aside.
3. In the same skillet, melt the 1 tablespoon margarine or butter. Add eggs. Cook over medium heat without stirring until eggs begin to set around the edge. Using a large spatula, lift and fold the partially cooked egg mixture so the uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking until eggs are set, but still glossy and moist. Transfer half of the scrambled eggs to a 2-quart square baking dish or an au gratin dish.
4. Spread half of the mushroom mixture over the eggs in the baking dish. Drizzle about half the sauce over. Top with the remaining scrambled eggs, remaining mushroom mixture, and remaining sauce. Cover and chill overnight.
5. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until heated through. Top with tomato. Let stand 10 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
6. For a lower-fat version: Use skim milk and reduced-fat Swiss cheese and use 2-1/2 cups refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, instead of the whole eggs.
*Note: If using milk instead of wine, stir 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard in with the 2 tablespoons milk.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!