Charcoal vs. Gas Grills
Charcoal Grills: Pros and ConsPROS
- Flavor: Distinctive flavor. Food gets infused with notes of wood and smoke.
- The Ritual: Spending time in the backyard. Piling on the charcoal. Adjusting the heat of the coals. The satisfaction of mastering the art involved.
- Low Cost: Basic models range from $30.00 to $100.00.
- Space: In general more compact. Good to use if you have a small outdoor space.
- Prep time: It takes time to set up wood chips or charcoal and at least 20 minutes to heat up to the right temperature for cooking. Also manually adjusting the coals and maintaining temperatures requires close attention as heat does not stay consistent.
- Cleanup: Charcoal grills need a good cleaning to function properly. Cleaning the sticky residue off the grates and grill can be a messy job requiring steel brushes and heavy scrubbing.
Continued on page 3: