Joey and Rory's Angel Biscuits
5 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons yeast (or 2 packets)
1/2 cup very hot water
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- Cut shortening into flour mixture with pastry blender or fork until evenly distributed.
- In a small bowl, combine hot water and yeast. Stir until well combined.
- Stir in buttermilk and flour mixture, until mostly combined.
- Add yeast to flour mixture and continue mixing with spoon or by hand until well combined.
- Turn dough onto floured surface. Knead dough until a smooth ball forms.
- Roll dough out to a one-inch thickness. Cut biscuits and place on a baking sheet with sides touching. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!