Desserts with a Light Touch
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
We cut the calories and fat by using fat-free yogurt to tenderize the biscuit-like topping on this traditional homespun cobbler.Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened sliced, peeled peaches
- 2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- Ground nutmeg (optional)
1. For topping, in a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, and the 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
2. For filling, in a large saucepan stir together the 1/2 cup sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in 1/3 cup water. Add the peaches and cherries. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Keep the filling hot while finishing topping.
3. To finish topping, stir together the yogurt and egg product. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, stirring just to moisten.
4. Transfer filling to a 2-quart square baking dish, using a spoon.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!