Desserts with a Light Touch
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Chilling time: 4 to 24 hours
A blend of low-fat ricotta cheese and fat-free cream cheese keeps this cheesecake within reach of dieters.Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup finely crushed graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 15-ounce carton low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 8-ounce tub fat-free cream cheese
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup orange juice (fresh-squeezed)
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel (set aside)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Light whipped dessert topping (optional)
- Pumpkin pie spice (optional)
1. For crust, in a medium mixing bowl stir together the crushed graham crackers and melted margarine or butter until crackers are moistened. Press mixture onto bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
2. For filling, in a food processor bowl or blender container combine half of the ricotta cheese, half of the cream cheese, half of the pumpkin, and half of the milk. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Repeat with remaining ricotta, cream cheese, pumpkin, and milk.
3. In a small saucepan sprinkle the gelatin over orange juice; let stand 5 minutes. Cook and stir over mixture. Stir in the orange peel, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and the pumpkin pie spice. Pour mixture into chilled crust. Cover; refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until firm.
4. To serve, loosen crust from sides of pan; remove sides of pan. Cut into wedges. If desired, garnish with whipped topping and sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!