Desserts with a Light Touch
Frozen Cranberry Pie
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Freezing time: 4 to 24 hours
To soften the ice cream, place it in a chilled bowl and stir with a wooden spoon just until it is soft enough to stir in the remaining ingredients. If the ice cream becomes too soft, the pie will be icy instead of creamy.Ingredients:
- Nonstick spray coating
- 6 chocolate wafer cookies, finely crushed (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 quart vanilla low-fat or light ice cream
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- Sugared cranberries (optional)*
1. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick coating. Coat with the crushed cookies. Set aside.
2. In a chilled medium mixing bowl stir the ice cream with a wooden spoon just until softened. Fold in the cranberry sauce and orange peel until combined. Spoon mixture into prepared pie plate. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm.
3. To serve, cut into wedges. If desired, garnish with sugared cranberries. Makes 8 servings.
* Note: To make sugared cranberries, roll frozen cranberries in sugar.
Nutrition facts per serving: 176 calories, 3 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.