Prizewinning Heart-Healthy Recipes
Stir-Fry Sunday Supper
Congratulations to Barbara C. Bernard, of Holyoke, Massachusetts, who won first prize in our Heart-to-Heart Recipe Contest. Judges praised the meal's low-sodium soy sauce, skinless chicken breast, high-fiber brown rice, and heart-healthy mushrooms. The dish began with a recipe from her mother, "but as my husband and I became more health-conscious I took the skin off the chicken, and switched from butter to oil and white to brown rice." All of which pleases her son-in-law, the cardiologist. Kudos to second-prize winner Mary Herriage, of Dudley, Massachusetts, and Gerald McClure, of Bettendorf, Iowa, who took third prize.
First Prize Winner: Barbara C. Bernard
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup fresh orange juice
4 teaspoons peanut oil
1 pound shiitake or portobello mushrooms, stems discarded, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups coarsely grated carrot
2 celery stalks, sliced
4 cups cooked brown rice
Sliced scallion, for garnish
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut in half and pound slightly to thin. Cut crosswise into thin strips (about 1/4 inch thick).
- Whisk together garlic, soy sauce, 2 teaspoons cornstarch and the ginger in a large bowl, for marinade. Add chicken, turning to coat, cover and chill 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk together juice and remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch in a small bowl until dissolved.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a heavy skillet over high heat, until hot but not smoking. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and add to skillet; saute, turning occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil, the mushrooms, carrot, and celery to same skillet; saute over moderately high heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet; add juice-cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Stir until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Serve over rice and garnish with scallion, if desired.
Per serving: 300 calories, 4.5g total fat, 1g sat fat, 245mg sodium, 33g carbs, 37mg calcium, 66mg chol, 31g protein, 3g fiber
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!