A Low-Fat Brunch
A darling of the brunch menu has had its fat scaled back -- with no sacrifice of flavor. Another plus: You can assemble this dish up to a day ahead.
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- Nonstick spray coating
- 1/2 pound ground turkey sausage
- 1 medium red or green sweet pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- 1 10-3/4 ounces can reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 8-ounce carton frozen egg product (1 cup), thawed
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Cut bread into cubes; place in a large shallow pan. Bake in a 350 F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring once. Spray a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick coating. Place half of the bread cubes in the baking dish; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, sweet pepper, and mushrooms over medium-high heat until sausage is brown. Drain off fat. Pat vegetable mixture with a paper towel to remove excess fat. Spoon mixture atop bread cubes in dish. Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese. Top with remaining bread.
3. In a medium mixing bowl combine soup, egg product, evaporated milk, mustard, and pepper. Pour over bread, pressing down cubes with back of spoon to moisten. Cover; chill for at least 2 hours or for up to 24 hours.
4. Bake in a 350 F oven for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 2 to 3 minutes more. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Nutrition facts per serving: 322 cal., 14 g total fat, 32 mg chol., 932 mg sodium, 23 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 25 g pro.