Dinner with Friends
Preparation TimetableUp to 2 Days before
Baby Greens Salad with Oranges
- Prepare Country-Style Semolina Loaves; store in an airtight container or sealable plastic bags at room temperature.
- Prepare dressing for Baby Greens Salad with Oranges and Olives; cover and refrigerate.
- Prepare cake for Festive Jam-and-Cannoli Cake Roll; cover and store rolled in towel at room temperature.
- Prepare Lamb Shanks with French Green Lentil and Sweet Potato Ragout. Let the mixture cool for 1 hour, then divide it between two large refrigerator containers or 3-quart casseroles. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- Prepare Lemon-Thyme Mayonnaise; cover and refrigerate.
- Prepare Cannoli Filling, and assemble cake roll; cover and chill in refrigerator till serving time.
- Chill wine and champagne.
- Remove excess fat from chilled, cooked lamb mixture. Return lamb mixture to a large Dutch oven; reheat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble gourmet chocolates on a serving tray; cover and let stand till serving time.
- Set the dinner table.
- Assemble Smoked Salmon with Lemon-Thyme Mayonnaise; cover and let stand at room temperature till the appetizer course is served.
- Assemble and broil the Sweet Pear and Cheese Crostini, then serve the appetizers with wine.
- Toss together the salad and divide among salad plates.
- Slice the semolina loaves.
- Transfer the lamb shanks and ragout mixture to individual serving bowls.
- Prepare coffee.
- Cut the cake roll into slices, and transfer to dessert plates; if desired, garnish each serving with chocolate shavings.
- Bring out the gourmet chocolates.
Continued on page 3: