Come with a Donation
What should you ask your guests to bring? Here are a few ideas to get you started. Call your local organization ahead of time to make sure it accepts the type of goods you're collecting.
- Blankets and towels for dogs' and cats' cages at an animal shelter.
- Canned goods, cereal, peanut butter, tuna, and other nonperishables for a food bank.
- Children's books, toys, and games for a homeless shelter.
- Used sports equipment for youth mentoring programs -- bats, balls, soccer cleats, tennis rackets, and other items.
- Gently used handbags, dress shoes, blouses, suits, and pants for organizations like Dress for Success to outfit disadvantaged women interviewing for jobs.