March Madness Party Ideas
Talk the Talk
- The term March Madness is synonymous with the NCAA Basketball Tournament, but the nickname was first used to describe another basketball tournament: the annual Illinois High School Association tournament. Henry V. Porter coined the phrase in his 1939 article for the Illinois Interscholastic magazine.
- A number 16-seed team has never won a tournament game.
- 2008 marked the first time that all number 1 seeds (Kansas, Memphis, North Carolina, and UCLA) advanced to the Final Four.
- The odds of picking a perfect bracket are approximately 9 quintillion to 1. That's 9 billion times 1 billion.
- The last 10 men's tournaments have been won by 9 different schools. The University of Connecticut is the only team to win twice in the last decade.
Originally published on LHJ.com, March 2009.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!