By Tara Bench and Megan Weiss
Make this gorgeous tart in any standard-size pan -- rectangle or round. Serve with dinner or as an appetizer while you carve the turkey.
Makes 2 tarts (serves 15)
Work: 35 minutes
Total: 1 hour 50 minutes
1 recipe Tart Crust (recipe follows)
1/2 acorn squash, skin washed, seeds removed
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound assorted mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 small red onion, sliced root to tip
3 ounces baby spinach
3/4 cup (6 ounces) semisoft goat cheese
1/4 cup part-skim ricotta
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Make tart crusts and cool. Cut squash into 3/8-inch-thick slices, coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil and set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper until golden and soft, 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in onion and spinach; set mixture aside.
2. In the same skillet cook squash, turning once, until golden and just tender, about 8 minutes.
3. In a food processor blend goat cheese, ricotta, vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until smooth. Spread half the cheese mixture into the bottom of each tart shell. Top with mushroom mixture and squash slices. Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be chilled up to 6 hours; bring to room temperature before serving.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix 2 large eggs with 3 tablespoons water; set aside. In a food processor combine 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add 12 tablespoons unsalted butter and blend until butter is the size of peas. Pulse and add egg mixture just until dough forms.
2. Divide dough in half on a floured surface and roll each piece into a 16-by-6-inch rectangle, 1/8 inch thick (or roll just larger than the tart pans you are using). Fit dough in 13-by-4-inch tart pans, trim off excess dough, and chill 30 minutes. Line crust with foil and fill with pie weights; bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and weights and bake until crust is golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Makes 2 crusts
Per serving: 270 calories, 17.5g total fat, 9g sat fat, 287mg sodium, 21g carbs, 63mg chol, 7g protein, 1g fiber