1. Heat oven to 400 degree F. Combine vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, the oregano, and pepper in a bowl.
2. Lightly coat a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Brush both sides of eggplant with vinegar mixture and arrange in a single layer on cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes per side, until fork-tender.
3. Meanwhile, combine onions, garlic, 1 teaspoon oil, and 2 tablespoons wine in a large nonstick skillet; cook, stirring, over medium-high heat 5 minutes, until onions are softened.
4. Stir in stewed tomatoes with their liquid, chopped tomato, chopped basil, remaining 2 tablespoons wine, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally to break up tomatoes, 10 minutes. Makes 2-1/2 cups sauce.
5. Spoon one third of the sauce into a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant over sauce. Spoon half of the remaining sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the mozzarella. Top with remaining eggplant, sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan.
6. Cover dish with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes more or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving for easier cutting. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired. Makes 6 servings.