1. Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Add veal stew and veal shank. Cook until veal is well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to plate; set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and carrot to Dutch oven; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute more. Carefully add tomatoes with juice, wine, broth, salt, pepper, and thyme, stirring to break up tomatoes.
3. Return veal to Dutch oven; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until meat is very tender, about 2 hours.
4. Remove veal shank. Separate the meat and marrow from thebones; stir meat and marrow back into sauce.
5. Toss sauce with hot pasta in large serving bowl. Makes 6 servings.