SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat the 1-1/2 cups sugar and the shortening in a large mixer bowl on medium speed 2 minutes, until fluffy. Beat in anise and eggs for 2 minutes, until combined. Reduce speed to low; beat in flour mixture and wine just until combined. (The dough will be stiff but that's okay.) Divide dough into quarters.
3. Combine the 1 cup sugar and cinnamon in a medium shallow bowl or pie plate. Set aside.
4. On a floured surface, roll one piece of dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 3-inch cookie cutter. Transfer cutouts to prepared cookie sheets 1 inch apart. Using the tip of a small spoon, press indentations along outer edge of cookies. Repeat with remaining dough, rerolling and cutting scraps. Bake 10 minutes, until lightly golden. Cool on cookie sheets on wire racks, 5 minutes.
5. Dredge warm cookies in sugar topping. Cool cookies completely on wire rack. Makes 7 dozen cookies.