1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper on all sides of beef. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef and brown on all sides, 4 minutes per side. Transfer beef to large plate.
3. Add onions to Dutch oven and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, carrots, celery, parsnips, bay leaves, and thyme. Cook 5 to 8 minutes until vegetables soften. Add tomatoes and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook 2 minutes. Add chicken broth; bring mixture to a boil. Return beef and any accumulated juices to pot.
4. Tightly cover top of Dutch oven with foil then with a lid. Bake roast for 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 hours, turning roast over every 45 minutes, until fork-tender.
5. Carefully transfer roast to large cutting board. Cover roast loosely with foil and keep warm.
6. Skim fat from vegetables and broth. Place a large strainer over a large bowl. Working in batches, strain vegetables and broth through a strainer, gently pressing vegetables with a large spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Scrape vegetable puree from the underside of strainer into sauce. Repeat with remaining broth and vegetables.
7. Reheat sauce over low heat. Thinly slice meat. Arrange meat on a large serving plate. Spoon sauce over top. Sprinkle top of pot roast with parsley. Serve with egg noodles and peas. Makes 6 servings.